Brookline Street Studio is now Birch Paper and Home!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Decorating with old paper

I brought several pieces over to the Cooperage today, but I am most proud of one, in particular. I've had this dresser for what seems like ages. It had gorgeous green glass knobs when I bought it, but because someone had trimmed off the ends of the screws with a bolt-cutter, I wasn't able to remove them. So, I worked with what I had. I painted the main part of the dresser white and decoupaged the fronts of the drawers with pages from an old gardening book. Adorable, no?



Well, that was a year ago and the dresser still hasn't sold. This past week I filed off the ends of all the screws in order to remove the original glass knobs. I decoupaged the fronts of the drawers with ledger pages from the 1840's and added new, clear glass knobs. I LOVE it! What do you think?



I have a few other pieces--both furniture and decor--at the Cooperage that also showcase new uses for old papers. Take a look:







I've always been drawn to old books. The look, the feel, the time and effort it took to create them. Perhaps it's the reminder of a simpler time, a time before multitasking...ahh, now that's a happy thought!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! I noticed the new dresser yesterday and thought it looked strangely familiar. Now I know why! Love it with both papers, but especially with the ledger. And now you have a set of pretty green knobs to boot. Nice job. Tera

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dresser is going to fly out the door now! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work. I will be featuring some of these pieces on my blog www.liveloveconquer.com with a link back to yours, hope this is ok with you. I am going to be doing a give-away for a vintage french 1911 journal which has fabulous old ads, photographs and many more fabulous images that would look amazing on furniture like you have showcased.

    ReplyDelete