Brookline Street Studio is now Birch Paper and Home!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Birthday Girl



For the past 4 years, my birthday gift to my daughter has been a room makeover. She is my design-diva, my crafty-companion, the girl-after-my-own-heart. As much work as it is, I have to be honest and admit that I am already planning the next girly-girl makeover--I just love it!


Cadie's birthday falls during the week of the 4th of July, when my (former) in-laws gather as many relatives and friends as they can entertain (and sometimes more) in beautiful Duxbury, Massachusetts. My heart has ached during this week the past two years. I so very miss Nanny, Pop, and my sisters- and brothers-in-law. Fortunately, I've had the girly-girl makeovers to fill this week, and they've been SO MUCH FUN!


This year, Cadie decided to raise the bar a bit and asked me to write "rhyming clues" to lead her from one gift to the next. Apparently, she enjoyed the gift-hunt I created for her last year. Since Cadie loves to watch Design on a Dime with me (particularly the ever-so-adorable Kristen Cunningham), I started her clues with this: "As every great designer knows, your room should always match your clothes." In the box attached to this clue was the dress she is wearing in the photo above...the dress she wore for two days straight! This girl knows, without a doubt, that she is loved! Is there any greater purpose for a mom?




Here is the look on my little munchkin's face when she first saw her new room. Even as I share this photo, my heart overflows with love. It's bittersweet to celebrate her 8th birthday. Each year brings new amazement as I watch this beautiful little girl develop into a young lady after God's own heart. Yet, there are always the lost treasures of a younger age that I grieve. Praise God for photos like these that bring forth a waterfall of memories, love, thankfulness, and just plain joy. My Cadie is my "happy" for today. She brings unmeasureable joy to my life and was the first real glimpse I ever had into God's love for me. How unimaginable to think that He loves each of us even more than we love our own children....

No comments:

Post a Comment